jd img

We are a specialist legal aid firm but can also
help clients who may not qualify for legal aid.
We will continue to help those who need
public funding for advice and representation.

We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. When something goes wrong, we need our clients to tell us about it. This will help improve our standards. Whenever possible, please raise any initial client care problems with the person acting on your case to give them the opportunity of resolving matters with you. Often, matters can be quickly resolved in this way.

If you are unhappy about any aspect of the service you have received, or about the bill, please contact us by post to our office at Falk House, Westgate, Leeds LS1 2RA, telephone 0113 246 8151. Please note that making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

We have a procedure in place which details how we handle complaints as follows:

1. We will send you a letter acknowledging receipt of your complaint within three days of receiving it, enclosing a copy of this procedure.

2. We will investigate your complaint. This will normally involve passing your complaint to our Complaints Partner Adrian Pollard, who will review your matter file and speak to the member of staff who acted for you.

3. Mr Pollard will then invite you to a meeting to discuss and hopefully resolve your complaint. He will do this within 14 days of sending you the acknowledgement letter.

4. Within three days of that meeting Mr Pollard will write to you to confirm what took place and any solutions he has agreed with you.

5. If you do not want a meeting, or it is not possible, you will be sent a detailed written reply to your complaint, including the suggestions for resolving the matter, within 21 days of sending you the acknowledgement letter.

6. At this stage, if you are still not satisfied, you should contact us again and we will arrange for another Partner within the firm to review the decision.

7. We will write to you within 14 days of receiving your request for a review, confirming our final position on your complaint and explaining our reasons.

8. If you are still not satisfied with our handling of your complaint you can ask the Legal Ombudsman to consider the complaint. Contact details are as follows:

PO Box 6806 Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ
0300 555 0333

Normally, you will need to bring a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final written response from us about your complaint and within the following timescales:
  • Six years from the date of the act or omission about which you are complaining occurring, or
  • Three years from the date you should reasonably have known there were grounds for complaint.
However the Legal Ombudsman will not accept complaints where the act or date of awareness was before 6th October 2010.

We would hope that this does not become necessary and that we can resolve matters between ourselves.

9. If we have to change any of the above timescales we will let you know and explain why.

10. Alternative complaints bodies (such as ProMediate and Small Claims Mediation) exist which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services should both you and our firm consent to use such a scheme. In the event that you wish to use an alternative complaint body you should advise us and we will then state if we agree.

11. The complaints procedure also includes complaints arising concerning our bill. There may also be a right to object to the bill by applying to the court for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974. The Legal Ombudsman may not consider a complaint about a bill if you have applied to the Court for assessment of that bill.

12. In addition, the Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority report a solicitor page at https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor.page